PhD, Queen’s University, Ontario; Master of Arts, Queen’s University, Ontario; Bachelor with honors, University Winnipeg, Manitoba
Professor Shandre is the Vice President of the Jeffrey Cheah Institute on Southeast Asia at Sunway University. Before his appointment, he was a Regional Director at Centre for International Economic Studies at the Institute of International Trade in the University of Adelaide and the Director of the Asia Growth Research Centre at the university. He is an active researcher on human capital development, technology transfer, foreign direct investment, trade, government infrastructure investment, productivity and economic growth. He has written extensively on ASEAN integration, FDI, human capital development, technology transfer and economic growth and has published his research in major international journals. He has written several books on trade, investment, integration and outsourcing in Asia. He has also worked on several international projects commissioned by UNDP, World Bank, ASEAN Secretariat, APEC, and Asian Productivity Organization (APO).
- Program Director, the Master in Public Policy, Sunway University
- Associate Professor, Regional Director, Centre for International Economic Studies, Institute of International Trade, University of Adelaide
- Director of the Asia Growth Research Centre, University of Adelaide.
- International projects commissioned by UNDP, World Bank, ASEAN Secretariat, APEC, and Asian Productivity Organization (APO).
- JCI-JSC-WP-2019-02: FTA Utilisation and Impact of Regional Trade Agreements on Trade of ASEAN and Australia: AANZFTA
- Thangavelu, S.M., (2020). “Supply Chain Resilience: Reducing Vulnerability to Economic Shocks, Financial Crisis and Natural Disasters” (with Fukunari Kimura and V. Anbumozhi), Springer, U.K.
- Thangavelu, S.M., (2019). “Singapore Chronicles: Trade and Investment”, 2019, Singapore Press Holdings, Singapore.
- Thangavelu, S.M., (2019). “Feasibility Study on the Free Trade Agreement between The Kingdom of Cambodia and The Eurasian Economic Union”, 2019. ERIA Research Project Report 2018, no. 16, Jakarta.
- Thangavelu, S.M., (2018). Singapore Chronicles: Trade and Investment, Institute of Policy Studies, National University of Singapore and Singapore Straits Times Press, Singapore.
- Thangavelu, S.M., Nguyen Dinh Chur, Dong Thi Thuy Linh, (2018). Utilisation of Regional Trade Agreements and Development of Vietnam.
- Hing, Vutha, Shandre Mugan Thangavelu and D. Narjoko, (2020). ‘Human Capital and Participation in Global Value Chains: Evidence from Small and Medium Sized Enterprises in Indonesia’, Asian Development Bank Institute Working Paper no. 1142, Tokyo, Japan.
- Thangavelu, S.M.; Wenxiao Wang, Sothea Oum, (2018). “Servicification in Global Value-Chain: Case of Asian Countries”, 2017, forthcoming at The World Economy.
Articles in academic indexed journals:
- Wang, Wenxiao, Shandre Mugan Thangavelu, Faqin Lin, 2021. “Global Value Chains, Firms and Wage Inequality: Evidence from China”, China Economic Review, 66 (21), 2021.
- Wang, Wenxiao, Christopher Findlay, Shandre Mugan Thangavelu, 2021. “Trade, Technology and Labour Market: Impacts on Wage Inequality Within Countries’”, The Asian Pacific Literature Review (2021).
- Thangavelu, Shandre Mugan, V. Anbumozhi, 2021. “Global financial crisis and firm activities in global value chain: case of Vietnamese firms”, 2021, Journal of Social and Economic Development (2021).
- Fukunari Kimura, Shandre Mugan Thangavelu, D. Narjoko, and Christopher Findlay, ‘Pandemic (COVID-19) Policy, Economic Cooperation and Emerging Global Value Production Network’ Asian Economic Journal, 34.1 (2020), 3-27.
- Thangavelu, S.M., (2019). “Global Supply Chain in Singapore’s Services Sector: Retail Value Chain and Productivity Improvements”, Journal of Southeast Asian Economies, 36(2), 244-255.
- Kimura, Fukunari; Findlay, Christopher; Chen, Lurong. Thangavelu, S.M., (2019). “Introduction: Services Supply Chain – The Impact on Trade and Development in East Asian Countries” (with Fukunari Kimura, Christopher Findlay, Lurong Chen), Journal of Southeast Asian Economies, 36(2), 141-152.
- Thangavelu, S.M., (2019). “Trade, Polarization and Human Capital in Global Production Value Chain”, (with Wenxiao Wang and Christopher Findlay), submitted to Asian Economic Papers.
- Thangavelu, S.M., (2019). “Value-added Trade, Human Capital and Production Linkages Across Borders” (with Wenxiao Wang), submitted to Oxford Economic Papers.
- Thangavelu, S.M., (2019). “Global Value Chains, Firms and Wage Inequality: Evidence from China”, (with Wenxiao Wang and Faqin Lin), submitted to China Economic Review.
- Thangavelu, S.M., (2018). “Servicification in Global Value-Chain: Case of Asian Countries”, (with Wenxiao Wang and Sothea Oum), The World Economy, vol. 41, issue 11, pp. 3045-3070.
- Thangavelu, S.M. (2018). “FDI, Financial Constraints, and Productivity: Firm Level Study in Vietnam” (Aekapol Chongvilaivan), submitted to Applied Economics.
- Thangavelu, S. M., (2018). “Trade Policy Change and Firm Adjustment: A Search for Underlying Mechanism Case of Vietnamese Firms” submitted to Journal of Economic Studies.
- Thangavelu, S.M.; Wang, Wenxiao; & Oum, Sothea. (2018). “Servicification In Global Value Chains: Comparative Analysis of Selected Asian Countries With OECD”. The World Economy, 41(11), 3045–3070.
- “Policy Adaptation and Review” workshop-lecture, at The International Council of Malaysian Scholars and Associates (ICMS) Malaysia Public Policy Competition (MPPC) 2020, 14-16 August 2020