PhD, University of Queensland; MBA, University of Wisconsin-Madison; Bachelor Degree (Hons) in Soc. Sc., University of Singapore
Professor Ariff is a Senior Fellow at the Jeffrey Cheah Institute on Southeast Asia and the Head of the Department of Economics and Finance at the Sunway University Business School. He was awarded his PhD from the University of Queensland, Australia in 1986 and his MBA from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA in 1976. Before joining Sunway University, Prof Ariff held positions at the business schools of National University of Singapore, Monash University and Bond University. His industry experience includes executive positions in a public listed firm and Singapore’s central bank. Prof Ariff is an active researcher in financial economics with contributions appearing in numerous international journals on finance and economics. His publications on Islamic finance have earned him international recognition. He manages the annual Foundation of Islamic Finance conference series.
- Distinguished Professor of Finance
- Head of the Department of Economics and Finance at the Sunway University Business School
- Past Elected President of Asian Finance Association
- Board member ICMR (Securities Commission)
- Ariff, M., and Yeah Kim Leng, (2018). “Introduction to Taxation Practices in Malaysia.” In Ariff, M. and K.L. Yeah (Eds) “Malaysia’s Tax System: Issues, Challenges and the Way Forward” to be published by Malaysian Tax Research Foundation and Sunway University Press.
- Chung Tinfa, Ariff, M., and Yeah Kim Leng (2018). “Cross-Country Comparison in OECD: Lessons for Malaysia”. In Ariff, M. and K.L. Yeah (Eds) “Malaysia’s Tax System: Issues, Challenges and the Way Forward” to be published by Malaysian Tax Research Foundation and Sunway University Press.
- Ariff, M., and Yeah Kim Leng (eds) (2018). “Malaysia’s Tax System: Issues, Challenges and Future Direction”. Book published by Sunway University Press.
- Ariff, M., and Shamsher M., (2018). Islamic Wealth Management: Theory and Practice. (Islamic Finance series editor Mohamed Ariff). Publisher: Edward Elgar, UK and USA.
- Ariff, M. (2018). “A New Form of Global Asset-Backed Debt Market Through Sukuk”. In Valentino Cattelan (2018) (Ed). “Islamic Social Finance: Entrepreneurship, Cooperation and the Sharing Economy” Routledge publication, New York, USA.
Articles in academic indexed journals:
- Zarei, A., Ariff, M., and Bhatti, I., (2019). “The Impact Of Exchange Rates On Stock Market Prices: New Evidence From Seven Free-Floating Currencies”. The European Journal of Finance Vol 25: (Forthcoming). SJR Q1
- Mahomed, Ziyaad; Ramadilli, Shamsher; & Ariff, M. (2018). “Sukuk Announcement Effects During Financial Crisis: The Case for Indonesia. Journal of Islamic Accounting and Business Research”, 9(4), 567–586. doi: 10.1108/ JIABR-10-2017-0143
- Tahmoorespour, Reza; Zarei, Alireza; Ariff, M.; Safari, Meysam; & Mansori, Shaheen. (2018). “Sovereign Debt and Sovereign Credit Rating: Literature Review”. Journal of Insurance and Financial Management, 4(1), 20–56.
- Ariff, M. (2018). “A New Form Of Global Asset-Backed Debt Market Through Sukuk”. In V. Cattelan (Ed.), Islamic Social Finance: Entrepreneurship, Cooperation and the Sharing Economy (pp. 95–110). UK: Routledge.
- Ariff, M.; & Zarei, Alireza. (2018). “Exchange Rate Instability: Relative Volatility, Risk And Adjustment Speed”. In S. Boubaker, D. Cumming, & D. K. Nguyen (Eds.), Research Handbook of Investing in the Triple Bottom Line (pp. 75–92). UK: Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN: 9781786439994
- Ariff, M.; & Zarei, Alireza. (2018). “One Approach To Resolve The Exchange Rate Puzzle: Results Using Data From The United Kingdom And The United States”. The Singapore Economic Review, 63(5), 1367–1384.
- Ariff, M.; & Zarei, Alireza. (2018). “Sustainable Development And Currency Exchange Rate Behavior”. Asian Economic Papers, 17(3), 148–173.
- Ariff, M.; Zarei, Alireza; & Bhatti, Ishaq. (2018). “Test on Yields of Equivalently-Rated Bonds”. International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, 11(1), 59–78.
- Chung, Tin Fah; & Ariff, M. (2018). “Whither Competition in Malaysia’s Banking Industry Ex Post A Restructuring”. Journal of Economic Studies, 45(2), 263–282.
- Chung, Tin Fah and Ariff, M. (2018). “Competition in the Malaysia’s Banking Industry, Quo Vadis”. International Journal of Economics and Management Vol 11(3): 897-920). SJR Impact Factor 0.42.
- Chung, Tin-fa, Ariff, M., and Shamsher M., (2018). “Banking Liquidity and Stock Market Prices in Three Countries in ASEAN”. Pertanika J. Soc. Sci. & Hum. Vol 25 (1): 291 – 316 (2017). SJR: 0.333 Q2
- Ariff, M., and Naserini, A., (2018). “Banking Performance: How do DEA and Accounting Measures Compare?” in Emrouznejad, A., and Thanassoulis, E., (2018) (eds). Data envelopment analysis and performance measurement, recent developments: Proceedings of the DEA40. Aston University, U.K.
- Najib, S.M., Ariff, S.M., and Annuar, M.N., (2017). “The Buoyancy of Major Direct Tax Categories: Evidence from Malaysia”. International Journal of Economic Research. Vol 14, Number 15. SCOPUS SJR: 0.408 (Q2)
- Ariff, M. (2018). Keynote Speech “Monitoring Exchange Rate Instability in 12 OIC countries”. Speech delivered to audience in 2nd World Islamic Banking and Finance Conference, Lahore, Pakistan: 5-6 January 2019.
- Ariff, M., (2018). “Banking Performance: How do DEA and Accounting Measures Compare?” presented at the DEA-40 Conference at the Aston University, UK.
- Ariff, M., (2018). “Exchange Rate and Stock Market Return: Evidence from Eight Free-Floating Currencies”. Paper presented at the 26-th Securities and Financial Markets Conference in Kaoshiang, Taiwan.
- Ariff, M., (2018). “Sustainable Development and Currency Exchange Rate Behavior”. In the International Conference on Finance, Banking and Financial Stability, Bali, Indonesia.
- Ariff, M., (2018). “The Economics of Earning Reports Disclosures to the Tokyo Stock Exchange”. Paper presented at the Asian Economic Forum Tokyo.