PhD, Utrecht University (The Netherlands); M.Sc. and B.Sc. Chemical Engineering, University of Malaya (UM);
Dr Goh Chun Sheng is a Research Fellow at the Jeffrey Cheah Institute and Jeffrey Sachs Center; and is currently the Jeffrey Cheah’s postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University Asia Center. His work addresses sustainability issues related to land-use and bio-economy, with a special focus on Asia. He is also a visiting scholar at Zhu Liu’s group, Department of Earth System Science, Tsinghua University (China). Chun Sheng began his career as a researcher and a PhD candidate at Utrecht University in 2011-2016, focusing on international trade, land-use and carbon impacts of bio-economies. Two notable projects are ‘Monitoring of biomass and bioenergy trade flows in the Netherlands’ with Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO) and ‘Large-scale Investments in Food, Fibre, and Energy (LIFFE) Options for the Poor’ with Centre of International Forestry Research (CIFOR). In the same period of time, he also managed the operation of IEA Bioenergy Task 40, an international working group consists of 14 member countries with the theme of ‘Sustainable international bio-energy trade’. Chun Sheng completed his PhD with the dissertation “Monitoring the bio-economy: Assessing local and global biomass flows, land-use change, carbon impacts and future land resources”. In 2016-2017, Chun Sheng worked at Agensi Inovasi Malaysia (AIM), responsible for the execution of National Biomass Strategy 2020. He then spent two years in Tokyo as Japan Science Promotion Society (JSPS) postdoctoral fellow at United Nations University – Institute for the Advanced Studies of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) and Japan’s National Institute for the Environmental Studies (NIES).
- Jeffrey Cheah Postdoctoral Fellow at Harvard University Asia Center
- Goh CS, Lee JSH (2020). Transforming Exploitative Land-Based Economy to Reduce Terrestrial Carbon Stock Loss: The Case of Kalimantan. In: Djalante R et al. (Eds.) Climate Change Research, Policy and Actions in Indonesia. Springer, Tokyo. In press.
Refereed journal papers:
- Goh CS (2020). Transforming Exploitative Land-Based Economy: The Case of Borneo. Environmental Development. In Press.
- Goh CS, Aikawa T, (…) Yamagata Y, Osamu S (2020). Rethinking Sustainable Rural Development with Bioenergy In · Japan: Decentralised Systems Supported by Local Forestry Biomass. Sustainability Science. In Press.
- Junginger M, Koppejan J, Goh CS (2019). Sustainable Bioenergy Deployment in East and South East Asia: Notes On. Sustainability Science. In Press.
- Jaung W, Wiraguna E, Okarda B, Artati Y, Goh CS, Syahru R, Leksono B, Prasetyo LB, Lee SM, Baral H (2018). Spatial Assessment of Degraded Lands for Biofuel Production in Indonesia. Sustainability, 10(12):4595.
- Goh CS, Junginger M, Potter L, Faaij A, Wicke B (2018). Identifying Opportunities and Barriers To Mobilising Underutilized Low Carbon Land Resources: A Case Study On Kalimantan. Land Use Policy, 70:198-211
Selected Talks and Presentations
- 2 Dec 2019: “Sustainable Development Goals in Food Waste Management”, Intl Seminar on Sustainable Development Goals-The Indian Pathway, Invited Keynote Speaker.
- 13- 16 Nov 2019: “Marine Debris: Issues, Challenges and Initiatives”, Asia-Pacific Symposium on Energy Utilization of Municipal Solid Waste for a Sustainable Development of City, Keynote Speaker.
- 31 July -1 Aug 2019: “Global Perspectives on Plastics and Microplastics: Issues, Challenges and Initiatives”, WMAM Annual Conference & Gala dinner, Invited Speaker.
- 7- 11 July 2019: “Plastics and Microplastics: A Global Perspective”, Intl. Young scientists Symposium on Waste Management and Disposal Technology, Keynote Speaker.
- 19- 22 May 2019: “Ocean Plastics Management and Challenges”, ISEE 2019, Invited Plenary Speaker.
- 19- 22 May 2019: “Status and Issues in Transboundary Movement of Wastes in Malaysia”, ISEE2019/ Basel Forum 2019, Invited Plenary Speaker.
- 19- 22 May 2019: “E-waste Management and Resource Recovery Potential in Asia and the Pacific”, ISEE2019, Plenary Speaker.
- 16 April 2019: “The 3R Uptake by Malaysians”, Jordan Green Clean Campaign, Invited Speaker.
- 21- 24 Mar 2019: “Plastic Management: Issues and Challenges”, 14th ICWMT, Beijing China,
- 27 Feb -1 Mar 2019: “Status of Marine Plastic Debris: Issues, Challenges and Global Initiatives”, 3RINCs 2019, Bangkok, Thailand, JSMCWM, KSWM, Invited Plenary Speaker.
- 27 Feb -1 Mar 2019: “3R Policy Indicator and Its Future. Recapping 1St Round and Priorities For 2Nd Round”, 3RINCs 2019, Bangkok, Thailand, JSMCWM, KSWM, Invited Speaker.
- 27 Feb -1 Mar 2019: “Global Management of Construction and Demolition and Disaster Waste”, 3RINCs 2019, Bangkok, Thailand, JSMCWM, KSWM, Invited Plenary Speaker.