PhD, Utrecht University (The Netherlands); M.Sc. and B.Sc. Chemical Engineering, University of Malaya (UM);
Dr Goh Chun Sheng is a Research Fellow at the Jeffrey Cheah Institute and Jeffrey Sachs Center; and is currently the Jeffrey Cheah’s postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University Asia Center. His work addresses sustainability issues related to land-use and bio-economy, with a special focus on Asia. He is also a visiting scholar at Zhu Liu’s group, Department of Earth System Science, Tsinghua University (China). Chun Sheng began his career as a researcher and a PhD candidate at Utrecht University in 2011-2016, focusing on international trade, land-use and carbon impacts of bio-economies. Two notable projects are ‘Monitoring of biomass and bioenergy trade flows in the Netherlands’ with Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO) and ‘Large-scale Investments in Food, Fibre, and Energy (LIFFE) Options for the Poor’ with Centre of International Forestry Research (CIFOR). In the same period of time, he also managed the operation of IEA Bioenergy Task 40, an international working group consists of 14 member countries with the theme of ‘Sustainable international bio-energy trade’. Chun Sheng completed his PhD with the dissertation “Monitoring the bio-economy: Assessing local and global biomass flows, land-use change, carbon impacts and future land resources”. In 2016-2017, Chun Sheng worked at Agensi Inovasi Malaysia (AIM), responsible for the execution of National Biomass Strategy 2020. He then spent two years in Tokyo as Japan Science Promotion Society (JSPS) postdoctoral fellow at United Nations University – Institute for the Advanced Studies of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) and Japan’s National Institute for the Environmental Studies (NIES).
- Jeffrey Cheah Postdoctoral Fellow at Harvard University Asia Center
- Goh CS, Lee JSH (2020). Transforming Exploitative Land-Based Economy to Reduce Terrestrial Carbon Stock Loss: The Case of Kalimantan. In: Djalante R et al. (Eds.) Climate Change Research, Policy and Actions in Indonesia. Springer, Tokyo. In press.
Refereed journal papers:
- Goh CS (2020). Transforming Exploitative Land-Based Economy: The Case of Borneo. Environmental Development. In Press.
- Goh CS, Aikawa T, (…) Yamagata Y, Osamu S (2020). Rethinking Sustainable Rural Development with Bioenergy In · Japan: Decentralised Systems Supported by Local Forestry Biomass. Sustainability Science. In Press.
- Junginger M, Koppejan J, Goh CS (2019). Sustainable Bioenergy Deployment in East and South East Asia: Notes On. Sustainability Science. In Press.
- Jaung W, Wiraguna E, Okarda B, Artati Y, Goh CS, Syahru R, Leksono B, Prasetyo LB, Lee SM, Baral H (2018). Spatial Assessment of Degraded Lands for Biofuel Production in Indonesia. Sustainability, 10(12):4595.
- Goh CS, Junginger M, Potter L, Faaij A, Wicke B (2018). Identifying Opportunities and Barriers To Mobilising Underutilized Low Carbon Land Resources: A Case Study On Kalimantan. Land Use Policy, 70:198-211