PhD in Literature, Duke University; M.A. in English
Clarissa is a Research Fellow with expertise in science and technology studies, science and technology policies, as well as artscience in designing sustainable futures . Clarissa has experience in the deployment of interdisciplinary methods design to reconsider new and existing problems. She is presently working on two books.
Campus Research Committee Members
Digital Wellbeing; Tabletop Futures Simulation; Technoscientific Narratives of Southeast Asia; COVID-19, Vulnerable Populations, and Wellbeing in Malaysia
- Clarissa Ai Ling Lee and Eric Kerr (2020). Trolls at the polls: What cyberharassment, online political activism, and baiting algorithms can show us about the rise and fall of Pakatan Harapan. First Monday, Volume 25, Number 6 – 1 June 2020.
- Eric Kerr & Clarissa Ai Ling Lee (2019) Trolls Maintained: Baiting technological infrastructures of informational justice. Information, Communication & Society
- Little Book of Speculative Design for Policy-makers in Malaysia
- Little Book of Speculative Design for NGOs and Community Groups in Malaysia
- Lee, C.A.L.(2019). What Science Fiction Can Demonstrate About Novelty in the Context of Discovery and Scientific Creativity. Foundations of Science.
- Lee, Ai Ling Clarissa; & Lau, Sian Lun. (2018). Imagining Future Foods Through Speculative Design. Proceedings of International Conference on Culture Technology 2018, 256–260.
- Lee, Ai Ling Clarissa; & Low, Wai Sern. (2018). Speculative Code: Mediating the Virtual-Reality of Emergent Science. Nomorepotlucks, 49.
- Lee, Ai Ling Clarissa. (2017). Nuclear Science and Technology in the Malaysian Context: Three Phases of Technoscientific Knowledge Transfer (ETTLG). Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A.
- Lee, Ai Ling Clarissa. (2017, October). Nuclear Science as Big Science in Southeast Asia: a Case of Malaysia. Asia Pacific Physics Newsletter, 6(2), 42–45. ISSN:2251-1598
- Lee, Ai Ling Clarissa. (2017, March). STEM literacy as disaster literacy: The Malaysia nuclear story. Disaster Governance Asia.
Selected Talks or Presentations
- 3-7 Dec 2018: “Radiation and the Public: the role of nuclear security and safeguards in public acceptance of nuclear technology in the case of Malaysia.” IAEA-CN-269-329. Conference Proceedings of the International Conference on Security of Radioactive Material: the Way Forward for Prevention and Detection. IAEA Headquarters, Vienna, Austria
- 3-7 Dec 2018: Technical Session Speaker on the panel for “Interface, Facility/Detection + Public Engagement.” International Conference on Security of Radioactive Material: the Way Forward for Prevention and Detection. IAEA Headquarters, Vienna, Austria
- 15-18 Nov 2018: Clarissa AL Lee and Sian Lun Lau, “Imagining the Future of Foods Through Speculative Design”, in Proceedings of International Conference on Culture Technology 2018, Shaoxing, China
Talk and Presentations:
- 25-26 Jan 2019: Invited Speaker and Convener for the workshop on “Technology and Postcoloniality: Historical and Social Studies of Technology in Post-Colonial Countries.” Center for Culture and Frontier Studies.
- 9-11 Nov 2018: Presentation of “Nuclear Scientific Diplomacy as Transnational Knowledge Transfer in Building Science and Technological Expertise in Malaysia” at the Nuclear Diplomacy publication workshop at Sokendai University in Japan, Graduate University for Advanced Studies. Co-organized with the History and Technology journal (of Drexel University).
- 8-9 Oct 2018: “Speculative Design as Art-Science Approach to Thinking About Ageing.” Panellist and Discussant in Building knowledge and narratives between social innovation and science and technology. Social Innovation-Live Asia. Impact Hub, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- 30 Aug 2018: “The Public’s Right to Know: Communicating the Science of Radiation Risks and Standards in Malaysia.” Co-convenor of the panel on Risks, Standards, and Knowledge Circulation in Nuclear and Radiation Science and Technology for Development. Annual Meeting for the Society of Social Studies of Science (4S).
- 29 Aug 2018: Curator/Designer for a Making and Doing Session of 4S at the Powerhouse Museum, in Sydney, on “ImaginAging – Plausible Futures of Healthy Aging in an Urban Setting.” On behalf of the Imaginaging project. Annual Meeting for the Society of Social Studies of Science (4S).
- “20 Aug 2018: ImaginAging: Speculative-Participatory Design and Healthy Ageing.” Public talk given to participants of the Harvard Project for Asian and International Relations Programme hosted at Sunway University, Malaysia.